Do you want to serve your community in times of emergencies and disasters?
Crisis management involves planning and implementing those plans in order to help rebuild or restore organizations and communities affected by challenging events, such as calamities, massive layoffs, terrorist attacks, oil spills, and the like – such disasters that can affect the public as well as private businesses – following these disastrous events. In most cases, emergency and crisis management professionals work with public officials in order to coordinate response and evacuation plans.
In the private sector, crisis managers work to protect an organization’s reputation by coordinating with the company’s public relations department in order to issue press releases and provide information to and negotiate with injured parties.
Crisis management professions have varying requirements. Many private companies may prefer candidates with a bachelor’s degree. Applicants with experience in public relations may have an edge over competitors. Undergraduate and certificate programs are offered by various academic institutions to prepare students for managing emergency situations.
Certification is also available for working professionals in the field of emergency and disaster management through various organizations.
- The George Washington University offers the Graduate Certificate in Emergency Management and Public Health and the Graduate Certificate in Homeland Security Emergency Preparedness and Response (HS EPR). The certificate program in HS EPR is offered by the George Washington University Department of Engineering Management and Systems Engineering (EMSE). Students who successfully complete the six graduate courses will be awarded the graduate certificate. The Graduate Certificate in Emergency Management and Public Health requires completion of four courses: Crisis and Emergency Management; Medical and Public Health Emergency Management; Biostatistical Applications for Public Health; and, Principles and Practices of Epidemiology.
- MIT Professional Education offers the Crisis Management and Business Continuity as a short program that is appropriate for participants who need an introduction and those who have experience in the field. By the end of the course, participants will be provided with up-to-date tools, knowledge and understanding to improve their business continuity, disaster recovery and crisis management programs. The crisis management course offers an effective combination of lectures, case studies and class participation activities. These are conducted by knowledgeable and experienced instructors in the field.
- Saint Joseph’s University’s Online Crisis Management Certificate Program will help students become highly skilled and proactive leaders that people can rely on in an emergency situation. It includes the following crisis management courses: Psychology Aspects of Homeland Security; Leadership in Times of Crisis; Risk Communication and Management; and, Panic Response Operations.
- The Professional Crisis Management Association offers the Professional Crisis Management Certification Program. The program focuses primarily on prevention and includes Crisis Prevention, Crisis De-escalation, Crisis Intervention and Post-Crisis Intervention components.
- The National Center for Crisis Management, in collaboration with the American Academy for Experts in Traumatic Stress offer Certification in Traumatic Stress Specialties or Certification in Crisis Management Specialties to members.
- The International Consortium for Organizational Resilience offers a variety of certifications and credentials in the field, such as the Certified Organizational Resilience Specialist in BCM, the Critical Environments Certifications, and the Crisis Management & Communications Professional.